Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wet! Wet! Wet!

There’s something you should know. When something exciting happens in my life I don’t know how to tell the story with minimal details. It is pretty much impossible for me, but for two seconds I will try.
Our apartment flooded, and we liked it.
Ok for those of you that can handle way too many details, here we go.
Last Friday, we had a river flowing down our sidewalk. We walked out of our ground floor apartment to see water literally rushing down the sidewalk. We hopped and skipped our way around all the water making our way to the parking lot. I got on the phone to call emergency matience at our apartment complex while Jake tried to figure out what was going on. When we got closer to the source we heard a (challenged) man (in nothing but boxers) screaming “Wet! Wet! Wet!” over and over again while standing in his doorway. Jake went to go talk to him while I completely ate it and fell on a patch of ice. Jake looked inside his apartment and saw water gushing in from the outside filling this guy’s apartment. Meanwhile I’m on the phone with maitience trying to explain that there’s a river flowing down the sidewalk and into someone’s apartment. While on the phone I see Jake take off back to our apartment, knowing that I’m going to be late for a quiz in my first class I start yelling to him “Jakkkeee I’m going to be late for my quiz we have to go!!” He was trying to see if our apartment was getting water in it, which at the time it wasn’t, so as soon as the management and maitence showed up we left so I could go to class and take my quiz.

After my first class I get a text from Jake that says, “Our apartment flooded.” Nice right? So of course I freak out and tell him to come pick me up. When we get back to our apartment I see that I can splash puddles in the kitchen and on the carpet, but it could have been much, much worse. It is so hard to explain the crazy pattern that this water took to flood our apartment so I’ll use my amazing “paint” skills to draw a diagram.
Haha, I can't believe I actually made this diagram.

Ya get it? A water main broke outside and travelled down the sidewalk. It flooded an apartment next to where it happened (aka the poor scared man screaming wet wet), then it moved really really far to flood the apartment on the back side of our apartment that we share a wall with. The water level was so high in their apartment that it seeped right through our walls and came into our apartment. As far as floods go we were super lucky. The poor people on the other side of us had all their stuff ruined and had to move out that day. The water went into our closet, bathroom, kitchen, and living room, but stopped short of any furniture or anything that we own that could get damaged.

You could splash puddles in the carpet, it was fun

This is really the after math, not the full blown river. (Our apartment is to the left)

Our (back wall) neighbors front door
Our bedroom after emptying out two closets into it.

Pretty soon, we started to realize that this flood was going to be a good thing. First, our management bought us café rio for lunch. Then they had a flood team come in and rip up our carpets and take out the wet mats. They dried the carpet and floor out. I have really wanted to get our nasty carpets cleaned for a while but have been too cheap to get it done so score! Nothing like a flood to get a free carpet cleaning right? Later we had a cleaning company come in and clean the kitchen and bathroom floor (which has been on my to-do list, but really who likes scrubbing floors?). Meanwhile, we had to move everything off the wet floor in our closet into our bedroom. Have you ever seen in cartoons when they show a closet that opens and it looks like it’s piled so high and so full that everything will fall out? Ya, well we have one of those closets in our main room. We had to empty it into our bedroom, it got a little crowded in there. Call me crazy but I’ve also been meaning to clean out both closets (I have good intentions, but I like to procrastinate things like that)—so anyway I was kind of excited to get that done. Then our management company tells us they will put us up in a hotel for the weekend while the carpet dries. Also, we can order room service and eat the restaurant whenever we want. And this restaurant is nice—were talkin filet minon. But if we get sick of it then we just bring our receipts and she will pay us back… UM, THANK YOU FLOOD. Unfortunately, I was leaving for Seattle in a couple hours so Jake got to go take advantage of it by himself. {I was a tiny bit jealous, or actually just wishing the flood would have come when I was in town}. 

On my way to the airport I knew Jake was going to have a good weekend after I received this text:

No comments:

Post a Comment