Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Food, Fat, and other first world problems

Anyone who has had a baby knows that doctors, nurses, and pretty much every book you ever read really encourages breastfeeding your baby for the added health benefits it provides over formula. Being the loving mother that I am (ha!) I naturally thought I better give it a try. I have since discovered that it is not always that simple and sometimes it just doesn't work out (no judging from this mom!). Weston's health problems made him a pretty fussy baby. The antibiotics did a number on his digestive system and he was not a happy camper for a while there. But after a while I began to suspect that there might be another cause to his excessive spit up and bad gas (oh the joys of babies!). We got him on reflux medicine and I cut dairy out of my diet. That really helped with the fussiness and gas but not the spit up.. we are still needing like 5 outfit changes a day (for both of us). Soo I decided once and for all to go on an elimination diet to see if he is sensitive to anything else that I may be eating. For the about 2 weeks I ate nothing but pears, ground turkey, brown rice, and potatoes. Ugh..someone give me some ice cream!

The bad news? Im getting realll sick of rice and potatoes . The good news? I'm back to my pre-Weston weight.. yayy! Yet somehow I still look 3 months pregnant..better than looking like I swallowed a beach ball I suppose?


Anyone have experience with reflux or food sensitivities in babies? I need all the help I can get over here..who said this mothering business is all intuitive?

1 comment:

  1. Someday you'll be looking back on this. I don't have any advice, just lots of praise for all you've done. His life has been SO much better because you figured some of this out! Let's hope he grows out of it.

    ReplyDelete