Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Cave

So I’ve mentioned before, but Jake and I like to refer to our little one bedroom apartment as the cave. In the winter time it can feel dark and small, but with spring it’s been so bright and cheery so maybe a new name is in order…
A couple weekends ago our apartment complex had a little competition called “parade of homes.” Basically, people in the community came around with little score cards to rate each apartment on a scale of 1-5 (from “like” to “like a lot” lol).. soo awkward! Anyways, so we had about 50 strangers walk through our apartment judging our “style.” At first it was uncomfortable but it ended up being kind of fun.

The apartment manager delievered a prize while I was in class. She said to Jake, "Congrats you guys won 1st prize." Jake was so excited and started calling and texting people. Then he opended up the envelope and saw that "1st prize" actually means 2nd place because "grand prize" is the winner. LOL. So he was a little disapointed after thinking we won, but I was actually SHOCKED we even got 2nd because there were a lot of cute apartments! And we got a $50 gift card to a yummy restaurant and a $25 gift card to a movie theatre, not too shabby for a little spring cleaning.

In case you don’t already know this about me, I like to make things. I guess you could call it ‘craft’ but that makes me sound like an old lady, so I’ll just keep it as “make things.” So here’s a little tour of our cave and a few things I’ve made.


Our little eating area:
Clock above the kitchen sink (before):
Added a little spray paint for some color in the kitchen:
Jar's in the kitchen (the sweets jar doesnt stay full very long)
Embellished a letter B with some shells:
Shelf above our toliet:
Some little jars I decorated for the bathroom:
Oh my our bedroom needs some help still.. Notice one side is higher than the other--I sleep with extra padding :)
I found some unfinished cupboard fronts at a thrift store.. I painted, sanded, and distressed them and added  little shells. Not quite sure what I think of cupboards hanging on our wall, but it was cheap "art"
After a few hot glue gun burns, I embellished some frames that hold pictures we took
I love this picture jake took, this flower was actually teeny-tiny, he's a pro.
Jake's "man corner." It has some sweet things from Africa & pottery he made in a class
I refinished a plain white lamp with some burlap to add some "texture"

I found this black lamp for $6, but it didn't match our place very well so I added some spray paint.. It still needs a new shade, like asap.

My "girl corner"

Wheff. If you made it through all those pictures--- I am proud of you!

2 comments:

  1. Love , love love the plae... especially the wall paint...wink wink...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your apartment. That lamp is a fab idea. love love love.

    ReplyDelete